1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation der aktiven Seite
  3. Inhalt der Seite
English
RSS Icon
Kopfgrafik 1

Torgau-Informations-Center
Markt 1
04860 Torgau, Germany


Telephone: +49 03421 7014-0
Fax: +49 03421 7014-15
Email:
info(at)tic-torgau.de

Opening Hours  Easter - October
Mo-Fr 10am - 6pm / Sa, Su, Holidays 10 am - 4pm
Winter Opening Hours

Sie befinden sich hier: Things to see and do » Places of interest 

Places of interest

Memorial of Encounter

elbeday

Handshake of Russian und American

The town of Torgau gained worldwide prominence when American and Soviet forces met on the Elbe at Torgau in April 1945 before the official end of the Second World War. The Memorial of the Encounter commemorates this event. Interested guests are welcome to visit the photo exhibition “Soldaten an der Elbe” (Soldiers at the Elbe), where about 50 barely known historical photographs are shown. Every year at the end of April we celebrate the Elbe Day to commemorate the happenings of April 1945 with Jazz Music, historic military parades and international guests.

Historic Old Town

torgau

Torgau, which was first mentioned in historical documents in the year 973, was the preferred residence of the House of Wettin. The town bore characteristics of a capital of the Electorate of Saxony and was the political center of the Protestant Reformation.




The historic town center with more than 500 different monuments has preserved the splendor of the former electoral town and invites the visitor to an imaginary journey into the Renaissance.
Surrounded by noble patrician houses and the Renaissance town hall, the marketplace is an impressive sight to the visitor. Furthermore, one of Saxony’s oldest pharmacies, the Mohrenapotheke, as well as Germany’s oldest toyshop can be found in Torgau. The color coded guidance system will help you on your tour throughout the town.

Town Church of St Mary’s

stadtkirche

Luther used to preach in the Marienkirche (Town Church of St Mary’s) regularly. His wife Katharina Luther, born a von Bora, is buried here. Worth seeing, besides her richly decorated tombstone, is the famous painting “Fourteen Holy Helpers” by Lucas Cranach the Elder. The Marienkirche, which can be seen from far away, is the oldest church of Torgau. It was built in 1119 and was restored around the year 1200. Originally a Romanesque basilica, the church was rebuilt into a late Gothic hall church from 1390 onwards. The ribbed vault is one of the most beautiful features of this church.

Hartenfels Castle

Schloss

Staatliche Kunstsammlund Dresden, Foto: Hans Christian Krass

The Hartenfels Castle is the most important and impressive historic building in the townscape. Located directly at the river Elbe the Hartenfels Castle is the only preserved castle of the early German Renaissance and boasts imposing architecture.







The Großer Wendelstein, the spiral staircase in the court yard of Hartenfels Castle, was designed by architect Konrad Krebs and is worth climbing. Without a central pole, the spiral staircase is self supporting and shines in new splendor since its restoration in 2014.
Original works of sculpture and stone masonry can be found in the lapidarium, which is located in a historic vault underneath the castle church.
After exploring the vault, the Hausmann Tower invites visitors to climb 163 steps to the top and rewards with a magnificent view over the castle, the town and the Elbe meadows.


Children and adults are equally delighted while watching our three bears Jette, Bea and Benno playing in the moat in front of the castle.
The rose garden that lies beneath the castle invites visitors to have a rest and enjoy tranquility right in the town center. Used to be an area for medieval tournaments it was transformed into a small secluded terrace garden of Renaissance style in the 16th century.

Castle Church

schlosskirche

The castle church (or castle chapel) is the first Protestant church building in which the doctrine of the Reformation was realized in architecture and art. Martin Luther consecrated the church on October 5, 1544. Its emphasized modesty is due to Luther’s own ideas which were turned into reality by architect Nickel Grohmann, who designed this functional sacral and earliest of all Protestant buildings. The castle chapel remained almost unchanged until today and served as a model for further Protestant churches in Germany.
The entire color scheme of the castle and the chapel is owed to Lucas Cranach. He is also responsible for the sketches of the motives on the chapel’s pulpit.


Johann Walter, cantor of the Reformation, composed the music for the church’s consecration. He is considered to be one the founders of Protestant vocal music and laid down the foundations for church music. The Torgau Organ Recitals and the annual Festival of Church Music in particular are well-known far beyond the borders of the town.

Übernachtung direkt buchen

Visitor Information

Home | Data security declaration | | Sitemap | Contact | Imprint